Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Money Matters

I feel like I've talked a lot about feeling thankful during this journey. Thankful for friends and family and their support. Thankful that, even during chemo, I never felt THAT bad.  But I heard a story yesterday that might have made my thankfulness hit an all-time high.

Another worker within my school district was diagnosed with cancer in May. This is her second round of cancer, as she beat it two or three years ago. I'm not sure what type she has, not that it really matters. She needs to undergo radiation, but has no insurance (she's not a teacher).  The doctors won't start her radiation until she puts a $3,000 deposit down.

When I started getting the insurance statements on my radiation I realized that each treatment was $609. It could be more if you had an x-ray that day or if you had to see the doctor. Here is a little math for you: 33 treatments at  $609 each is $20,097. 

I have saved all of my insurance statements since this journey began in December, but I have yet to add them all up. I could honestly be close to $100,000 in total between surgeries, chemo, doctors appointments and radiation.  With the exception of a couple of prescriptions and co-pays I have paid $500, which is my deductible.

I remember a day that my friend Jocelyn asked me about my bills and how much I've paid and then said "What do people do who don't have insurance? They just die, right?" Naive Jenn hadn't really thought of that, and just figured it got taken care of somehow. I mean come on, doctors really aren't going to treat someone with cancer? Oh silly Jenn....

We can complain that insurance is expensive, and I know that when my contribution to insurance went from 7% to over 20% in a year I was angry, but holy cow I have no problem paying for it now. I was the first one at the lunch table saying that we should switch insurance companies and go to something cheaper because "I never go to the doctor anyways." Yeah, the lightening bolt hit me on that one.

Between car and house payments, utilities, student loans and every other bill I pay every month I have no idea how long it would take me to save $3,000.  I know that entire time I would be freaking out that the disease inside me was growing and spreading and there was nothing I can do about it. I have no idea how she must be dealing with it.

So today, probably more than ever, I'm thankful for my insurance that has helped me get the best treatments in a timely manner and hasn't put me even farther into debt.

**PS I know I owe a regular post about hair and such and it's coming!

1 comment:

  1. I know! I think it is so sad that in our country health insurance is a privilege and not a right. I know there are issues with socialized medicine, but at least cancer patients are able to get treated, regardless of their socioeconomic status!

    ReplyDelete